Webnauts Net redesign need your review

Θέλετε την γνώμη των άλλων για την σελίδα σας; Τότε βρίσκεστε στο σωστό μέρος.

Συντονιστές: WebDev Moderators, Super-Moderators

Απάντηση
Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 22 Μαρ 2006 19:09

Dear co-members,

two days ago we have launched our new design, and we would kindly appreciate a site review.

We are aware that there are some things to be fixed, as for its markup, accessibility and usability, though we still would appreciate your review and your suggestions/solutions to make it for us possible to provide our visitors with a better user experience.

Check it out here: http://www.webnauts.net

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind contribution, making our web site accessible, findable and usable to all.
Optimizing for Search Engines, with Humans in Mind.
SEO Workers Professional Consulting Company | SEO Analysis Tool | SEO Articles & Tutorials

Άβαταρ μέλους
cdhyper
Literature Moderator
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από cdhyper » 22 Μαρ 2006 21:20

I'm wondering how did you manage to join our greek community without understanding greek :) If you understand greek, then why are we posting in english? Anyway.

I could consider your website as clean and accessible. One thing to note: I dont think it's a good idea to put the wheelchair icon in the top of the page. During the last few years there has been a struggle to semantically disconnect the disability term from the accessibility term. Accessible (as you also mention in your website) means Access to Everyone. Disabled persons must not consider that we design websites especially for them. Same thing happens in architecture. In case you haven't noticed, i'm telling you that new malls, supermarkets and a great variety of commercial, non-commercial and public buildings are using ONLY inclined ramps instead of the double solution (steps-ramps). Double solution means social racism. We do not need steps anyway, that's why we talk about Acessibility in terms of Universal Design. Acessibility does not anymore refer to disabled persons.
Σύγκριση τιμών Supermarket: http://www.shopnsave.gr
Νέα Ιταλικα επιπλα κουζινας
Για φιλοσόφους: http://filosofia.gr και http://liantinis.org

Άβαταρ μέλους
cherouvim
Script Master
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από cherouvim » 22 Μαρ 2006 21:26

Elite! Congratulations.
The elastic layout is superb!

Minor fixes:
- The images could use some alt text.
- I dont like the text weight change on hover on the ul#navlist.
- The name attributes in the inputs of the forms should use standard values. Using names like c_author and c_mail renders auto_complete of the modern browsers useless.
- Remove the margin from the media="handheld" style.
- I would hide the "skip to content" link from the media="screen" style.

keep it up

Άβαταρ μέλους
ThyClub
Honorary Member
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από ThyClub » 22 Μαρ 2006 22:11

Some javascript could come up handy in form validation.
This would inform the user about fields that were left blank or not valid emails etc etc...

I will try to visit your page with more tools than just firefox and i will post again.

BTW i really liked your new design :) Keep it up!!!

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 23 Μαρ 2006 05:21

cdhyper έγραψε:I'm wondering how did you manage to join our greek community without understanding greek :) If you understand greek, then why are we posting in english? Anyway.
I am half Greek and half American, living the last 13 years outside of Greece, and I have no contact to Greeks, so my Greek got very bad.
Sorry for that.
cdhyper έγραψε:I could consider your website as clean and accessible.
Not yet! But is will be soon. :)
cdhyper έγραψε:One thing to note: I dont think it's a good idea to put the wheelchair icon in the top of the page. During the last few years there has been a struggle to semantically disconnect the disability term from the accessibility term. Accessible (as you also mention in your website) means Access to Everyone. Disabled persons must not consider that we design websites especially for them. Same thing happens in architecture. In case you haven't noticed, i'm telling you that new malls, supermarkets and a great variety of commercial, non-commercial and public buildings are using ONLY inclined ramps instead of the double solution (steps-ramps). Double solution means social racism. We do not need steps anyway, that's why we talk about Acessibility in terms of Universal Design. Acessibility does not anymore refer to disabled persons.
I am aware of all that, but if I would try to get all that graphically under one hat, that will take for space my whole page. LOL

Thanks a lot for your kind suggestions and ideas.
SEO Workers Professional Consulting Company | SEO Analysis Tool | SEO Articles & Tutorials

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 23 Μαρ 2006 05:28

cherouvim έγραψε:Elite! Congratulations.
The elastic layout is superb!
cherouvim έγραψε: - The images could use some alt text.
What would you use for alt tags? I am so not sure that they are meaningful enough for a declaration. For SEO that would be an excellent idea, but I prefer to hurt my SEO instead of accessibility.
So what do you suggest?
cherouvim έγραψε: - I dont like the text weight change on hover on the ul#navlist.
Why not?
cherouvim έγραψε: - The name attributes in the inputs of the forms should use standard values. Using names like c_author and c_mail renders auto_complete of the modern browsers useless.
Maybe for backward compatibility?
cherouvim έγραψε: - Remove the margin from the media="handheld" style.
keep it up
You are write. I had it that way, but something went wrong there.
I have added in our bug tracking system.

Thanks fo far for your kind review,

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 23 Μαρ 2006 05:31

ThyClub έγραψε:Some javascript could come up handy in form validation.
This would inform the user about fields that were left blank or not valid emails etc etc...

I will try to visit your page with more tools than just firefox and i will post again.

BTW i really liked your new design :) Keep it up!!!
We are setting up an server side solution, which you will be impressed.
Stay tuned.

Thanks for your kind review too. And please check again as you have mentioned.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 23 Μαρ 2006 05:58

Any further suggestions?

Άβαταρ μέλους
cherouvim
Script Master
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από cherouvim » 23 Μαρ 2006 07:58

Webnauts έγραψε:What would you use for alt tags? I am so not sure that they are meaningful enough for a declaration. For SEO that would be an excellent idea, but I prefer to hurt my SEO instead of accessibility.
So what do you suggest?
alt="A magnifier"
alt="The image of a human's head"
alt="A wheelchair"
w3c wcag level-A έγραψε:http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/
Provide a text equivalent for every non-text element (e.g., via "alt", "longdesc", or in element content). This includes: images, graphical representations of text (including symbols), image map regions, animations (e.g., animated GIFs), applets and programmatic objects, ascii art, frames, scripts, images used as list bullets, spacers, graphical buttons, sounds (played with or without user interaction), stand-alone audio files, audio tracks of video, and video.
Webnauts έγραψε:
cherouvim έγραψε: - I dont like the text weight change on hover on the ul#navlist.
Why not?
It makes me dizzy
Webnauts έγραψε:
cherouvim έγραψε: - The name attributes in the inputs of the forms should use standard values. Using names like c_author and c_mail renders auto_complete of the modern browsers useless.
Maybe for backward compatibility?
What I meant is that if you (as a web surfer) have filled in your name and email in other websites before, auto-complete will work nicely on your site by allowing you to type in an 'f' and the 'foo@bar.com' email of yours would pop bellow in a drop-down like widget for you to select. This is auto-complete. And it will only work because you have filled in other forms with standard name="email" and name="surname" inputs. The possibility that you've filled in a form with name="c_mail" is close to zero.

Webnauts έγραψε: I have added in our bug tracking system.
Which one do you use?

Άβαταρ μέλους
ThyClub
Honorary Member
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από ThyClub » 23 Μαρ 2006 08:29

We are setting up an server side solution
IMHO it would be better to have both server & client side solutions. It is a great headache for users that connect with dialups to wait just to see that they forgot to fill in their email or name field.

I agree with cherouvim about alt text and maybe a longdescr too for images that are important.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 24 Μαρ 2006 08:45

cherouvim έγραψε: alt="A magnifier"
alt="The image of a human's head"
alt="A wheelchair"
Fixed! I am also thinking of using longdesc too. What you think?

It makes me dizzy
Fixed! How does it look now?
cherouvim έγραψε: What I meant is that if you (as a web surfer) have filled in your name and email in other websites before, auto-complete will work nicely on your site by allowing you to type in an 'f' and the 'foo@bar.com' email of yours would pop bellow in a drop-down like widget for you to select. This is auto-complete. And it will only work because you have filled in other forms with standard name="email" and name="surname" inputs. The possibility that you've filled in a form with name="c_mail" is close to zero.
Shall be fixed.
Webnauts έγραψε: I have added in our bug tracking system.
cherouvim έγραψε:Which one do you use?
We use Flyspray.

By the way, thank you so much so far. I hope you see more stuff we might can fix.

Efharisto para poli gia thin voithia sou. :)

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 24 Μαρ 2006 08:48

ThyClub έγραψε: I agree with cherouvim about alt text and maybe a longdescr too for images that are important.
I did the alt tags, and I will probably use the longdesc too. It could make sence for SEO too. I will not though implement a D link, which is anyway not a standard. The D link, a convention established by the CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media. :)

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments again.
Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το μέλος Webnauts την 24 Μαρ 2006 09:44, έχει επεξεργασθεί 1 φορά συνολικά.

Άβαταρ μέλους
cherouvim
Script Master
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από cherouvim » 24 Μαρ 2006 09:01

I've never used longdesc, it should be good, but only if you are up to something like level-AAA conformance.

The alt attributes of the footer links all say "footer navigation" where it should say things like "learn more about us", "the technical statement of this website", "the accessibility statement of this website" etc. The same applies for the alt attributes of the links on the breadcrumb. They all say "breadcrumbs".

You also need to style your contact form inputs relatively (em or %) and not in pixels. Look how these scale compared to the inputs on your "Training Academy" form.

thats all for now
see ya

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 24 Μαρ 2006 09:53

cherouvim έγραψε:I've never used longdesc, it should be good, but only if you are up to something like level-AAA conformance.
I am definetely up to level-AAA conformance. Will be implemented.
cherouvim έγραψε: The alt attributes of the footer links all say "footer navigation" where it should say things like "learn more about us", "the technical statement of this website", "the accessibility statement of this website" etc. The same applies for the alt attributes of the links on the breadcrumb. They all say "breadcrumbs".
Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed! Though about the "breadcrumbs" arealready so. Or did I miss something here?
cherouvim έγραψε: You also need to style your contact form inputs relatively (em or %) and not in pixels. Look how these scale compared to the inputs on your "Training Academy" form.
I for sure never use pixels. Maybe our trainee did that? I cannot believe so. I cannot find them. Where exactly do you mean? Page? Or can you check that again? Thanks!!! :)
cherouvim έγραψε: thats all for now
see ya
Thank you so much again. I hope you will check back soon. :)

Άβαταρ μέλους
Webnauts
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Webnauts » 24 Μαρ 2006 10:56

cherouvim έγραψε:Elite! Congratulations.
- Remove the margin from the media="handheld" style.
Fixed. Can you review that once again when you have time again? Or someone else here? Thanks. :)

Side note off topic: We are also using besides our bug-tracking system, an excellent template system, called SMARTY.

Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Θέλω την γνώμη σας για την Σελίδα μου...”

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτήν τη Δ. Συζήτηση: Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 0 επισκέπτες