Top 10 Silly Website Names

Ας χαλαρώσουμε και λίγο... Aς κουτσομπολέψουμε μια σταλιά, ας πούμε και κανένα ανέκδοτο!

Συντονιστές: theiapythia, Super-Moderators

Απάντηση
Άβαταρ μέλους
hik-hok
Reporter
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από hik-hok » 09 Αύγ 2007 21:26

jfrater02:37 pmAdd comment

There are many legitimate sites that, on first reading, appear to be using rude domain names. Often it is not until you take a second look that you realise that they can also be innocent. This is the list of the top 10.

1. Whorepresents

A site called ‘Who Represents‘ where you can find the name of the agent that represents a celebrity. Their domain name… wait for it… is www.whorepresents.com.

2. Expertsexchange

Experts Exchange, a knowledge base where programmers can exchange advice and views at www.expertsexchange.com.

3. Penisland

Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island at www.penisland.net.

4. Therapistfinder

Need a therapist? Try Therapist Finder at www.therapistfinder.com.

5. Powergenitalia

Then of course, there’s the Italian Power Generator company… www.powergenitalia.com.

6. Molestationnursery

And now, we have the Mole Station Native Nursery, based in New South Wales: www.molestationnursery.com.

7. Ipanywhere

If you’re looking for computer software, there’s always www.ipanywhere.com.

8. cummingfirst

Welcome to the First Cumming Methodist Church. Their website is www.cummingfirst.com.

9. speedofart

Then, of course, there’s these brainless art designers, and their whacky website: www.speedofart.com.

10. gotahoe

Want to holiday in Lake Tahoe? Try their brochure website at www.gotahoe.com.

Απο το http://listverse.com/humor/top-10-silly ... /#more-146
Εικόνα

Άβαταρ μέλους
Burned
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Burned » 12 Αύγ 2007 16:20

GasBuddy has a fairly sensible idea of letting you click on your location on a map, and then show you the gasoline prices in that area. However, they implement it in a senseless manner; once you get to a specific area, you wind up in one of a whole bunch of Stupid Unnecessary Domain Names™ like MiamiGasPrices.com or ShreveportGasPrices.com, instead of using logical subdomains, which would seem to make sense for such a network of related sites. BocaRatonGasPrices.com is not taken, when I checked, so somebody can "cybersquat" on them over here if they want.

# The Continental Chess Association seems to think every page of their site needs its own domain -- they have ccaevents.com, ccaguide.com, ccaresults.com, and more, all of which just redirect to pages in their main chesstour.com site. This could have been done more logically with subdomains like events.chesstour.com. At least, I think the .com suffix is valid; though their name sounds like a noncommercial organization, I believe they're actually a for-profit business (though the status isn't unambiguously stated).

# Speaking of chess, the U.S. Chess Federation has a few Stupid Unnecessary Domain Names™ too... though at least they do use the proper .org TLD. uschesslive.org goes to their live chess site, and shopuschess.org to their online store. These things could have been done more logically with subdomains.
# The Foundation for Economic Education, a nonprofit that properly and reasonably has its main Web site at fee.org, somehow felt the need to announce their annual convention via the unnecessary separate domain feenationalconvention.org. Why not use a logical subdomain like convention.fee.org? Well, at least they didn't use a .com address...

# Another "Well, at least they didn't use a .com..." award goes to Doctors Without Borders for using the Stupid Unnecessary Domain Name™ doctorswithoutbordersdonations.org for their online donation site, instead of a logical subdomain.

# And then there's redcrossstore.org, with a site logo that identifies it as the "RedCross.org store"; if it's branded that way, why not have it actually in the redcross.org domain?

# MP3.com, for some unknown reason, put its artist sites in an "artists" subdomain, not of mp3.com, but inexplicably, of mp3s.com. Why they needed a domain with an extra "s" at the end to hold their artist sites, I have no idea. These pages were all heavily "branded" with Mp3.com logos and credits, but, technically speaking, they're not in mp3.com! Cognitive dissonance, anybody? (With the 2003 sale of its domain(s) to a different company, MP3.com is presently shut down, and I don't know what use, if any, will be made of the variant domains if and when it resumes operations.)
# Disney had its online store at disneystore.com (at least until they moved it to yet another domain, disneydirect.com). This, by itself, while it is an unnecessary domain (a logical subdomain would make more sense), is too garden-variety to be crying out to be added to my Hall of Shame; I've got enough similar examples here already. What did get me to mention Disney here was the fact that, if you got on their mailing list, they embedded redirection URLs to their store in their e-mails which use the completely unnecessary illogical domain go-disneystore.com. Why not use a dot instead of the dash, and make it a logical subdomain??? All of the URLs in the Disney/ABC empire, incidentally, end up redirecting to a deep hierarchy in go.com.

# DellRadio.com is not the Web site of a radio station, network, or program operated by Dell. It's merely a (not particularly intuitive) way into the Small Business section of the dell.com site. The only radio-related thing about it is that it's advertised on the radio, which might seem like a logical reason for the name... if you're a Marketing Type. Their commercial has various office-worker types gushing about how great the DellRadio.com site is... (better than just-plain Dell.com?)
The time is now, the place is here. Stay in the present. You can do nothing to change the past, and the future will never come exactly as you plan or hope for.
Burned forum - The best g(r)eek forum !!!
Chuck Norris facts

Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Χαλαρά κι Ανάλαφρα”

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτήν τη Δ. Συζήτηση: Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 4 επισκέπτες